Pimples on scalp bother people worry since ancient times, so it can be said that the fight of people against this disease is already over a thousand years long. This skin defect affects equally old and young. Until now, scientists have not come to a unique effective solution to remove zits on scalp, but they continue to work on it and have many good options depending on the causes of acne, so do not give up and do not be upset – you will be cured.
Scalp pimples appear suddenly, and despite the fact that their appearance is not a disaster, they still cause a lot of troubles and inconveniences. Acne on scalp is not only a medical, but also a cosmetic issue. Such a phenomenon makes hair care difficult as you can hurt yourself by hitting painful pimples on scalp a comb when brushing your hair, it also often bothers you with itching and seriously spoils your appearance, causing psychological discomfort (mood swings and depression).
But why do scalp pimples appear?
Causes of acne can be various from lack of hygiene to hormonal and internal disorders. They also vary depending in the age group.
Let’s consider possible causes in details:
- Infants also suffer from rash even despite they are kept in sterile conditions. Here the wrong diet of their mothers is to be blamed, as everything that lactating women eat is delivered to their babies through the milk, so pay careful attention to your ration.
- For small children the most common cause of acne is an allergic reaction – to a new food product, care products such as shampoos, animal dander, pollen, household products, medicines and even clothes worn by the child and toys. Therefore be careful with new clothes, toys and products and always take time to make the allergy test before giving them to you child.
- Do not forget that zits can be the sign of beginning of some disease, such as chickenpox, and in this case urgent medical intervention is required. The right diagnosis can be made only by a specialist, so pay a visit to the doctor right away.
- For adolescents, that are the highest risk group, the occurrence of rashes on various parts of the body is associated with the beginning of puberty. In that age perspiratory and sebaceous glands activity is especially increased. For this reason, zits appear not only on scalp, but also on other parts of the body (face, back, chest). Clogged pores cause reproduction of pathogenic microflora inside the hair follicles, resulting in inflamed pimples on scalp. As a rule, teenage acne fully disappears by 18-20 years.
- Pregnant women or women before their period often suffer from acne because of hormonal disorders. However, such disorders can also occur on the background of various pathologies, in particular, endocrine problems. Pimples can also be caused by taking steroid drugs that are often prescribed against autoimmune diseases.
- Among everyday causes of scalp acne can be mentioned lack of personal hygiene or its excess. Pay attention to your shampoo or other hair care product and beauty product. You should wash your hair every second day, or, if your hair is oily or you frequently use hair dressing products, you should wash your hair daily to prevent sebaceous glands clogging.
- Any kind of allergy can provoke rash, so make an allergy test for all freshly bought cosmetics.
- Pimples can also be caused by internals issues and immune disorders, for example, digestive problems due to excess of sweets and junk food, or hepatic problems resulting from use of antibiotics.
- This problem can be related to mechanical factors: wearing tight headgear or a habit to scratch your skin.
- Another reason of such skin defect may be stress, fatigue and depression.
So now we have considered the majority of causes of pimples occurrence. The first thing necessary to get rid of them is to define what case is yours – and then you will remove them easily!
Ways of scalp pimples treatment
After you have defined the cause of your skin problems, you can proceed to their treatment. As this phenomenon has been known for ages, there are not only modern, medicinal ways of treatment, but also a huge number of recipes of popular medicine. It is impossible to list them all, but the most popular and well-known are worth mentioning.
The way of pimples treatment depends on the seriousness of this problem. If the rash is not very intensive, you try the following popular medicine methods:
- The most known ingredient to reduce and remove acne is aloe vera in any form: freshly cut leaves, gel, cream, infusion, ointment and even preserved juice! Learn more about this way of acne removal in the special article!
- Masks of blue clay or other cosmetic clay not only will help you to stop scalp acne, but also will make your hair shiny and strong. You can add different essential oils that will also strengthen your hair and dry your scalp. And if you decide to combine making a hair mask with a face mask of the same clay, you will double the positive effect – you face will be smooth and bright too!
- Take bathes with salt and sulfur – the old method that has been successfully used by our grandparents. Buy the special salt at the pharmacy and take bathes for 2-3 weeks.
- Regularly cauterize acne with an antiseptic solution (alcohol, vodka, salicyl alcohol).
- Washing your hair with tar soap is also a popular treatment.
- Clean the skin around acne with camphor or salicylic alcohol.
- Prepare a mask of 2 tablespoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Mix the ingredients and apply the mixture on the scalp for twenty minutes. Make this mask twice a week.
- Apple vinegar also helps to fight acne. Mix 100 grams of vinegar with the same amount of water and rinse you washed hair with this solution. In 5-7 minutes rinse your hair again, but with clean water.
- Tea tree oil added to your shampoo or hair mask will help you to quickly remove acne and other scalp defects. It can be used for both treatment and prophylaxis.
- Another popular medicine recipe is to chop dandelions roots and boil them for twenty minutes. Strain the infusion and drink it several times a day. It will cleanse your liver and help you to get rid of acne.
- For the same purpose you can include to your diet mix of carrot and apple juice, parsley and ginger.
If folk medicine methods do not help you, you can try medicinal ones:
- Local therapy is the use of so-called exfoliants – products containing lactic, glycolic and salicylic acids. The complex of these acids effectively softens sebaceous plugs and cleans pores.
- Teenagers often use different face washing products aimed at skin problems solution, but you should pay attention to your skin type.
- For skin exfoliation, cells renewal and inflammation reducing can be used antibacterial ointments and creams that can be bought in any pharmacy. They are to be applied in dotty touches on the scalp once or twice a day and give excellent results during a month after the beginning of their application.
- In severe cases of acne antibiotics can be prescribed in combination with antifungal and antiseptic (for example, zink) medicines.
Remember that is your rash is very intensive, or it causes great discomfort, itch or pain, or you fail to define its cause, you should pay a visit to dermatologist that will examine you and help you to stop acne. Don’t forget that acne can be only a symptom of some dangerous health issues, and the sooner you start the treatment, the better. Do not take any drugs without consultation with your doctor.
Useful advice for acne removal
Apart from using different treatments, following simple advice will help you to fight acne and improve your overall health and tonus:
- Have a course of vitamins and brewer’s yeast. It will cleanse the body of toxins and wastes that cause such skin problems.
- Never squeeze pimples on scalp. It is fraught with infection and rash extension, that will cause more itch and pain.
- Make allergy tests before trying new cosmetics or new food and pay attention to possible allergens.
- Learn how to properly care for your hair. Choose a shampoo that is good for you presonally and wash your hair at least twice a week. Washing your hair every day is not recommended, it can cause dry skin and dandruff. But if it is necessary, for example, if you use hair spray of other styling products every day, just choose a moisturizing shampoo.
- Regularly wash with soapy water your combs, curlers and hair clips. Often wash your headgear and towels.
- Adjust your digestive function. Pay attention to your diet. Eat more prunes, cereals, raw fruits and vegetables, they contain fiber, useful for intestines. Your diet should contain wholemeal bread and fermented dairy products. For three days in the month follow a fruit and vegetable diet, and the result will not be long in coming.
- Avoid stressful situations – worries cause many health problems. Be less upset and enjoy your life more!
- Do not abuse alcohol, peppers, hot sauces and spices.
- Protect your head from direct sunlight.
- Practice proper personal hygiene.
- Reduce the intake of salt and sugar.
- Strengthen your immune system.
- Drink plain water (7-8 glasses a day), green tea and fresh juices.
Following these simple recommendations you can remove scalp acne and prevent it in future. Good luck to you. Stay healthy and beautiful!